About the Foundation
Supporting others in the surfboard industry
Who we are
And what we do
Life in the surfboard manufacturing industry can be unpredictable, even during the best of times. It is the desire of the Sport of Kings Foundation to provide help, support and give compassionate care to industry members in need. The intention of the Sport of Kings Foundation is to provide social and community services including the following:
- Confidential advice and counseling
- Referrals to needed community resources
- Temporary emergency financial assistance for eligible industry member
What Types of Financial Assistance Are Offered?
- Emergency financial assistance is available for qualifying surfboard industry members who experience financial hardship due to illness, disability, unemployment or other reasons.
- Limited assistance is available to those who have modest or unavailable resources. Assistance is given in the form of payment towards living expenses, food and/or housing expenses.
A legacy is born.
How the Foundation was started
In April of 2012 a group of surfers, surfboard builders and surf industry folks witnessed Terry Martin, one of our own, as he struggled with the ravages of a catastrophic illness, Melanoma. Although, we wanted to provide monetary support to help Terry and his family with his medical bills and life needs in a charitable and dignified way, we were unable to find any avenue; be it his church, an existing non-profit or any other organization, that could allow restricted donations to directly provide assistance to Terry or his family during this difficult time.
It was through Terry’s illness and resulting death that the Sport of Kings Foundation was formed and today serves as his legacy. The Sport of Kings Foundation is an additional avenue of support to others in the surfboard building industry within California that may find themselves in similar devastating situations. Terry Martin’s family was the first grant recipient from our newly formed, Sport of Kings Foundation, and all future non-repayable financial aid grants will be gifted from “The Terry Martin Grant Fund” to remind us and others of Terry’s indomitable spirit and legacy.
How you can help
There are several ways for you to be involved including:
- Donating your time and energy in furthering our cause as a Board member
- Joining our organization through Individual and/or Corporate Memberships
- Sponsorships of annual events
- Fundraising initiatives on behalf of the Sport of Kings
After reviewing the above if this sounds like a Foundation you would like to be involved with please contact Mike Muir via our contact page. We look forward to hearing from you to discuss a level of involvement that seems right to you and hearing any ideas you may have.
Thank you for your consideration.
President, Sport of Kings Foundation
Make a Donation
Donations can be made via PayPal. 100% of funds go to actual assistance.
Pledge your Support
Browse our online store for custom Sport of Kings Tshirts and apparel.
Become a Member
Become part of an incredible legacy, helping those in need in the surfboard industry.